[NIFL-FOBASICS:727] RE: Re:ESE, Attention Deficit Disorder,

From: Sherry Royce/C (sjroyce@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 16:04:18 EDT

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:04:18 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sherry Royce/C <sjroyce@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:727] RE: Re:ESE, Attention Deficit Disorder,

Nick:
I know exactly what you are talking about. Two citations - personal -
none with music, however. This happens with the gifted as well as
learners we "label" as impaired. I personnally have experienced the need
to distract part of the brain in order to concentrate and went through
high school and college knitting in class to keep my brain from
wandering and graduated cum laude.

I have followed this coping device all my life and applied it to others.
For example, when asked to teach speed reading to gifted high school
children on Friday afternoons and 2:00 p.m., I immediately told them
they could do their homework in class as long as they kept up with what
we were doing.  They enjoyed the opportunity and the class and so did I.

There is a narrow line between ADD and gifted students and we must
always be careful about labels and coping skills that seem unusual to
us.

Sherry Royce
Dr. Sherry Royce
Royce & Royce, Inc.