[NIFL-FOBASICS:698] AALPD discussion on ISMS

From: Barbara Garner (barbara_garner@jsi.com)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 08:21:32 EDT

Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 08:21:32 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <barbara_garner@jsi.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:698] AALPD discussion on ISMS

As I mentioned in my last message, the AALPD discussion list is
conducting a discussion of FOCUS on BASIC's most recent issue. Many of
the issue authors are participating. Jackie Taylor, moderator of the
list, recently posted the comments below. To subscribe to AALPD, go to
the nifl web site at www.nifl.gov, click on Lincs, discussion lists,
etc.
Barb

Last week, we engaged in a rich conversation that has gone deeper than
most
discussions on isms, due in part to the solid foundation provided by
Focus On
Basics (FOB) and the FOB authors!  Thanks to Cassie, Rick, Maria, Lou,

Margery, Debby, Kay Tee, and others, we now have a grammatical
framework with
which we are exploring the implications of isms in literacy.  Thanks to

EVERYONE who participated in exploring the topic so fully.

This week I wanted to call our attention to how we go on from here.
Please
continue to submit questions to the authors as we focus around the
heart of
the issue, as Sally put it so well, "How do these power relationships
affect
our ability to create and maintain positive dynamic mutual learning
environments in ABE?"   What are our challenges in doing this, as
Barbara
stated, how "open" are teachers, administrators, et al. in having their

preconceived conventions challenged?

As we proceed this week, please consider the following:

1) Focus on concrete practices - Please continue to share your
experiences
with anti-ism practices in staff development, as well as in teaching,
and
program design.  It's ok not to have all the *right* answers - any one
person
can't possibly have all the answers.  How can what we've learned thus
far
impact our teaching and staff development practices?

2) Awareness - How can we become more *aware* of each other?  How can
inquiring into what each of us shares help us to generate greater
understanding?  How can we increase our references to each other in our

messages?

3) Focusing on a center, not sides - When we share, are we advocating
from a
relatively fixed position or are we open to influence?  How can we
build
around a common focus of staff development practices?

4) Abstractions - Can we try to avoid abstractions?  Speaking
abstractly,
especially electronically, makes it difficult to filter out meaning.
If you
would like others to read your message and more fully understand what
you
mean, try to be as succinct as possible.

How can our conversations later impact the field of literacy?  While
teachers
make an impact in the lives of the learners they teach; we, on the
other hand,
make a gentle influence in the practices of teachers.  If we tap into
the
potential we have to learn from each other, and thoughtfully question
our
habits-of-mind, we are taking steps to create something that any one of
us
alone could not reach.  As we strengthen our connections, we have the
potential improve national literacy practices and impact countless
lives.

I look forward to learning from the rich experiences you have to
offer!

Best,
Jackie Taylor
NIFL-AALPD List Moderator