[NIFL-HEALTH:4290] Health Symposium

From: Debbie Yoho (dwyoho@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 15:16:26 EST

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:16:26 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Debbie Yoho" <dwyoho@earthlink.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4290] Health Symposium

Dear Friends:  It appears the technical issues I was having have been
resolved.  Hello again!

The info below is posted by request. Best, Co-moderator Debbie

Stake Your Claim to Health Literacy

Please join us for "Stake Your Claim to Health Literacy," a day-long,
regional symposium focusing on language and cultural access to health
information. It will be held on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 in Sacramento,
California. Cost of the event is $35. Please consider inviting others
from your institution to join us!

Our goal is to provide you with practical tools and skills, and to help you
identify specific actions you can take in support of clear communication
and improving access to health information resources that are
linguistically and culturally appropriate.

Speakers include keynote Dean Schillinger, M.D., national health literacy
advocate and key contributor to the California Health Literacy Initiative;
Joyce Backus of NLM; and Neil Rambo, chair of MLA's task force on health
information literacy. A panel of experts will tell you how to choose
appropriate low literacy materials. Breakout sessions will address
Readability Tools; Regulations, Standards, and Financial Impact; Cultural
Considerations; and Non-print Resources.

The Symposium is sponsored by the Pacific Southwest Regional Medical
Library and the NCNMLG, MLGSCA, and PNC Chapters of the Medical Library
Association.

For more information and to register, visit the Symposium webpage at:
http://ncnmlg.stanford.edu/calendar/jtmtg2004/symposium.html

Poor access to health information is a costly condition; our symposium
offers you a cost-effective antidote! We hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

The Symposium Advisory Committee

Marilyn Hall
Florence Jakus
Dolores Judkins
Natalie Kamper (NLM Fellow)
Gail Kouame
Pat Lawson-North
Heidi Sandstrom

Deborah W. Yoho
Co-moderator, NIFL-Health Listserv
President, SC Adult Literacy Educators
Executive Director, Greater Columbia Literacy Council
2728 Devine Street,  Columbia, SC  29205
803-765-2555   Fax  803-779-8417   dwyoho@earthlink.net