[NIFL-HEALTH:4183] Re: clinical research question

From: Brenda B Remmes (remmes@comporium.net)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 13:45:19 EDT

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:45:19 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Brenda B Remmes <remmes@comporium.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4183] Re: clinical research question

We are currently working on a grant project through the University of South
Carolina School of Medicine where we are developing instruction sheets and
videos to use with patients in a small rural town in the northern part of
the state.  At this location, Kershaw, SC, we have a rotation site for
medical students and social work graduate assistance where they work with
the patient population of a rural doctor's office.  We have established 3
focus groups, to date, for patients to discuss with us what is "easy and
what is hard" to understand about managing their chronic diseases and what
are the things that are easy and hard to do.  (We're dividing the groups
into Hypertension, Diabetes, and Depression).

Each group has worked with us over a 6 week period and each member of the
group has completed 3 surveys for us prior to beginning the group.  One is
the TOFHLA, the second is the Slosson, and the third is the SF-12 (for
self-perception of quality of life.)

Scores on each of these have run amazingly close to national norms.

Brenda Remmes