[NIFL-HEALTH:4156] becoming/literate

From: james phillips (jphilip@tenet.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 17:32:30 EDT

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:32:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: james phillips <jphilip@tenet.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4156] becoming/literate

I’ve been practicing to become ‘health information literate’ and now I’m
practicing to become ‘health literate’ in the Spanish language.

I started with the books “Medical Spanish” by Jarvis and
Lebredo(Houghton Mifflin) and “Spanish for Health Care Workers” by Chase
and Chase(Yale University Press).  These books contain the learning
words and the health/medical words I need to help a patron select the
appropriate health information and to read health information in
Spanish.  I might have to start in Spanish and then continue in English
while helping the patron.  Also, the patron might have a low literacy
level in both languages.  These textbooks also contain cultural notes.
These two books are used in occupational Spanish classes across the
nation.

>From here I can procede to read the different health topics in, for
example, ‘Medlineplus in Spanish.’  I need the first two books to learn
the different types of sentences, along with a basic vocabulary, used in
the Spanish language for beginners.  And, I can use Medlineplus to
increase my vocabulary and at the same time become more ‘health
literate’ in Spanish.  Even though some people have become very
proficient in a language without leaving their country, I want to put
all that I’m learning into action by finding willing native
interlocutors of Spanish who will help me become more proficient.  I
want to practice speaking and understanding.  And, later, I’ll improve
my skills in reading and writing.

In health information found in Medlineplus there aren’t as many
different types of sentences and verb uses as found in a novel.  As I
read I can write down, in word groups, the nouns, verbs, adjectives,
etc.  As I continue to read I will see a repetition of these words and
I’ll be able to remember them.  Also, I can always read the same
information in the English topic section of Medlineplus.

Let me know if you’re involved in a similar project.  I’m interested in
everyone here involved in language learning, health literacy, health
information literacy, culture.

I’d like to make an online content driven set of lessons using
‘Medlineplus in Spanish’ topics as the content.  Is this something that
would seem to be of interest to this group.

I’d like to hear from you.

James Phillips, MLS
Librarian
South Texas Community College
Dr. Ramiro R. Casso Nursing and Allied Health Center
1101 East Vermont
McAllen, Texas 78501
956-683-3121
956-683-3190 (fax)