[NIFL-HEALTH:4153] Signage in Multiple Languages

From: Och, Sheila (SheilaFE@lchealth.org)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 11:36:20 EDT

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:36:20 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Och, Sheila" <SheilaFE@lchealth.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4153] Signage in Multiple Languages

Hello Everyone,

I have question and your guidance will be really appreciated.

I am from the Lowell Community Health Center in Lowell, MA. Lowell is an ethnically diverse city of 105,000 that has a long tradition of welcoming immigrants to the area.  Southeast Asians(primarily Cambodians with smaller numbers of Laotians and Vietnamese) comprise 25-30% of the population, Latinos from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and South America 17%, Portuguese speakers from Brazil and the Azores 10%, and African immigrants from about eight countries 5%.  Annually, LCHC serves approximately 12,000 people with primary medical care services. Forty-four percent of the primary care patients are Latino and 18% Southeast Asian, with growing numbers of African immigrants and Portuguese speaking, particularly from Brazil. Ninety-five percent of patients live below the poverty level.

We are currently working on improving language access (at many levels) for our patients.  One of the items is signage.

In signage what do you think about mixing languages on days of the week for understandability if you don't speak English?  Example:

Monday/Lunes/Segunda-feira/Lundi  9-5
Tuesday/Martes......

or should we separate this out as:

Monday 9-5