[NIFL-HEALTH:4134] "Health literacy" out "Clear Health Communication" in

From: Ian Bennett (ibennett@mail.med.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 09:04:46 EDT

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Ian Bennett <ibennett@mail.med.upenn.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4134] "Health literacy" out "Clear Health Communication" in

Hello Everyone,

I was lucky enough to be able to participate in this year's Pfizer Health
Literacy Initiative annual meeting in Washington and had a few thoughts
that I thought might fit well in the discussion here. There were many
interesting presentations and discussions that covered the progress,
limitations, and possible future for work in health literacy. I was really
happy to hear people talk about the formation of collaborations between the
worlds of adult education and health for basic research and intervention
development/evaluation.

One interesting point that I wanted to discuss further to help my own
thoughts is the change of the name of the Pfizer program from "Health
Literacy" to "Clear Health Communication." There has always been a lot of
confusion about what exactly anyone meant when they used the phrase health
literacy (one person might be thinking mostly literacy and another
something about health system navigation skills). This name certainly
clarifies the focus but I am interested in what it might mean for the study
of literacy and health.

Clearly low literacy skill will continue to be a part in how clear health
communication can happen and maybe this is what many people thinking about
health literacy where really talking about all along. But, now that the
word literacy isn't in the title any longer does this pull the focus a bit
away from the obstacles faced by those who cannot read? If so, let's not
forget that most of the work out there on poor health status and outcomes
is related to literacy (or more precisely reading) not the more global
concept of health literacy. We also are always referring to the NALS which
measured literacy not health literacy. What I mean to say is that there
isn't much that I am aware of that shows that someone with high reading
scores but would score low in the theoretical domains of health literacy,
will have more illness, spend more time in the hospital, or die sooner,
than someone with good reading skill and good health literacy. It may be
true but there is no evidence of it.

There are some interesting areas in health communication that are suddenly
opened up by the use of the "clear health communication" phrase like the
data that there are health disparities (that is differences in quality of
care and health outcomes that follow the lines of race) in the kinds of
options and care that is offered to patients as well as actual health
outcomes (Cooper-Patrick, Roter, and others). I have not heard those
studies mentioned previously at the Pfizer conference but maybe it is time
to bring it in.

To end this stream of consciousness I guess there are new opportunities but
also some new challenges to make sure that the literacy part is not lost as
we move forward as a group.

Ian M. Bennett, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Family Practice and Community Medicine
University of Pennsylvania