[NIFL-HEALTH:4122] Health Literacy Month

From: Helen Osborne (helen@healthliteracy.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 12:09:54 EDT

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:09:54 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Helen Osborne" <helen@healthliteracy.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4122] Health Literacy Month

Health Literacy Month 2003 is nearly here! Observed each October, HLMonth is
a time when health literacy advocates everywhere focus attention on the
importance of understandable health information. Since HLMonth began in
1999, activities have been held across the US and in every continent around
the world. I encourage you to get involved this year.

You can participate in HLMonth in whatever way makes sense for you, your
organization, and your community. For example, you can put health literacy
on the agenda at your next department meeting. Or maybe arrange a meeting
between health providers and literacy programs in your community.

Regardless of what HLMonth activity you chose to do, please take a few
minutes to post it on the HLMonth map. This map is an important tool to
exchange ideas and experiences with health literacy colleagues around the
world.

To learn more about HLMonth and to post your event on the map, please visit
the Health Literacy Month website at  www.healthliteracymonth.com For
questions and more information, you are welcome to contact me by e-mail at
Helen@healthliteracy.com

For HLMonth 2003, let's all communicate why health literacy matters!
~Helen

Helen Osborne M.Ed., OTR/L
President, Health Literacy Consulting - www.healthliteracy.com
Founder and President, Health Literacy Month - www.healthliteracymonth.org