[NIFL-HEALTH:4100] literacy/health/Spanish

From: james phillips (jphilip@tenet.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 13:48:26 EDT

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:48:26 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: james phillips <jphilip@tenet.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4100] literacy/health/Spanish

HI NIFLers,

       Thank you very much for all the quick responses and excellent
site suggestions.  But, most of those sites are already or will be
considered in my web page "A Su Salud."  You can see the new URL at
http://www.stcc.cc.tx.us/library/guides/asusalud.htm.  However, I
understand the old url still works.  And, according to the guidelines
I've been reading, the page has reached it's limit in order to be
useful.  Eventually, I'll have to start a second part.

       If you've read the page "El Consultorio" at
http://www.stcc.cc.tx.us/library/guides/elconsultorio.htm, you'll find
many of the words and expressions made from interviews in this area to
be home remedies and cultural beliefs.  Folks who can't afford or know
where to find medical help still use these.  Or, they visit the nearest
curandero or anyone else ready to get their money.

       In "Conexion Migrante" at there's all the sites that are provided
by farmworker health organizations, Head Start programs, school
districts, etc to the migrant students and families who migrate from
here.  40% of all migrants and 40% of all farmworkers in Texas live
here.  Many are probably in your state right now.  And, the
'transmigrantes' from Central America pass through here also to seek
work in the USA.

      The next page will deal with 'medical Spanish.'  That was the
topic I asked the group recently.  In this group I'm looking for
dictionaries, glossaries, etc and not information in Spanish about
health topics.  For example, topics one might find in Medlineplus or
NOAH or MEDEM or the Mayo Clinic pages.

      Let me know if you have any sites or use them or need them.  I'm
in the process of writing an online, content driven ready reference
pertaining to medical Spanish.  Let me know if this would be useful or
if you already use one.

      And, all the 'hispanoparlantes' and bilinguals and those
interested in the Spanish language, contact me.  And, any other language
of interest.  I'd like to hear from you.  Hablo poco y entiendo menos.
Ich spreche wenig und Ich verstehe minder.  Je parle un peu et je
comprend moins.  Govorim malo a razumem manje.  Any way you say it, I'm
interested.
james

James Phillips, MLS
Librarian
South Texas Community College
Dr. Ramiro R. Casso Nursing and Allied Health Center
1101 East Vermont
McAllen, Texas 78501
956-683-3121
956-683-3190 (fax)