[NIFL-HEALTH:4067] Re: Guest Speaker

From: Helen Osborne (helen@healthliteracy.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 19:42:49 EDT

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:42:49 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Helen Osborne" <helen@healthliteracy.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4067] Re: Guest Speaker

Hi Deb et al,

Back when I co-moderated this list, we almost always had a good response
when there was an invited guest discussant. Some guests were "live" --
raising issues, prompting discussion, and replying to queries for a
designated period of time (usually a week or two). Others, for a variety of
reasons, preferred to simply respond to a dozen or so questions that I
gathered from the group.

Both models worked well, as I recall. Deb, if you are worried about not
having a lively enough online discussion, I suggest the second option as you
can not only take some time to gather the questions but also supplement them
with a few of your own.

As far as timing, there will always be conflicts. August is still vacation
season. September means back to school (and work). And of course, there's
always October which is Health Literacy Month!

Thanks for arranging to have a NIFL-Health Guest,
~Helen

Helen Osborne M.Ed., OTR/L
Health Literacy Consulting - www.healthliteracy.com
Health Literacy Month - www.healthliteracymonth.org