[NIFL-HEALTH:4029] RE: Clip art

From: Mary Firestone (mfiresto@hsph.harvard.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 10:46:26 EDT

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:46:26 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Mary Firestone <mfiresto@hsph.harvard.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4029] RE: Clip art

Clip Art at TAMU - http://clipart.tamu.edu    There are any thousands of
images at the Texas A & M site  --- an embarrassment of riches.  Since it
was originally intended for agricultural extension, it is particularly
strong on food --- every kind of food and cooking, great for publications
on diet --- but includes many, many people images, including doctors and
nurses with patients.   The images are black & white line drawings; when
you first click on an image, it is shown screen size and looks a tad fuzzy,
but will work well at sizes most likely to be used for publications --- I
used some myself in my previous work.  Unfortunately, the search gives you
the whole group which includes the one you want, so you have to scroll
though it.  Some images are a bit dated, e.g., clothing, hair.  Images are
available in several formats --- GIF, TIF, JPG.

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/sls/ has some free medical clip art which
only requires that you give a reference to their site.  These images are
good but the one I sampled did not scale up well.

I have found that the free health images at some sites have very poor
resolution.  There are, of course, medical clip art sites which charge a
fee for their collections, e.g., lifeart.com; I haven't tried these for $$
reasons.

At http://www.uthscsa.edu/mw/support/medclipart.html there is a collection
of strictly anatomical clip art which looks great, but if you are not
affiliated with the University of Texas Health Science Center, you need to
inquire about permission.

Graphics at
http://www.clipart-directory.com/graphics/Clip_Art/medical_Clip_Art_Science-Health-Medicine.html
require a monthly or annual subscription.  The few I've seen were colored
illustrations of hospital scenes.  The site claims to have many thousands
of images, serious and otherwise.