[NIFL-HEALTH:4010] Re: health literacy scales

From: Ian Bennett (ibennett@mail.med.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 09:43:10 EDT

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:43:10 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Ian Bennett <ibennett@mail.med.upenn.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:4010] Re: health literacy scales

The Rapid Estimate of Adult Literacy in Medicine (REALM), and Test of
Functional Health Literacy in Adults (TOFHLA) are the most common
instruments used in this context. It is important to keep in mind that
"health literacy" is a multi-dimensional construct and we don't really have
an instrument that gets to all of those dimensions. Those above are closer
to a general literacy level (and that is how they are validated) than a
"health literacy" level. These are good screening instruments however and
are accepted in the literature for that purpose (both are short; 2 minutes
for the REALM and 7 for the short-TOFHLA).
Ian Bennett

At 09:01 AM 6/13/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>  I'm wondering where I can find a short health literacy scale.  I want to
>include health literacy in an already existing questionnaire.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Ramona Finnie, MPH
>Research Analyst
>Behavioral Research Center
>American Cancer Society
>1599 Clifton Road NE
>Atlanta, GA 30329
>Phone: 404-929-6805
>Fax:      404-320-6262

Ian M. Bennett, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Family Practice and Community Medicine
University of Pennsylvania
215-614-0849
ibennett@mail.med.upenn.edu