[NIFL-HEALTH:3986] Institute of Medicine Survey of Health Literacy Activities

From: Allison Panzer (apanzer@nas.edu)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 13:53:21 EDT

Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 13:53:21 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Allison Panzer" <apanzer@nas.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:3986] Institute of Medicine Survey of Health Literacy Activities

***Posted with permission of the moderator***

Dear Colleague,

The Institute of Medicine is carrying out a study on health literacy in America
today. We are looking beyond what appears in the literature to find out what
health literacy activities organizations have been carrying out-- from
simplifying written materials to training staff about the problem. We hope that
you will be able to fill out 15 quick questions via a web-based survey about
your organization's activities. It should take about 5 minutes to complete. The
information you provide will be compiled into a brief report by Terry Davis and
Julie Gazmararian for the upcoming IOM report on health literacy.

We need your response by Friday, May 28. Please click on the link to go to the
survey: http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?3LVLVXSLEDJ6134K6NTFEGDX

Thank you very much for your participation.
Sincerely,
Allison Panzer
IOM Study Staff

  Health literacy  is "the degree to which individuals have the capacity to
obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services needed to
make appropriate health decisions." The Institute of Medicine has identified it
as one of the 20 priority areas in health care.