[NIFL-HEALTH:3982] Re: Readability Testing--Try the FRY!

From: Jann Keenan (jkeenan@erols.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 18:00:17 EDT

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:00:17 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jann Keenan" <jkeenan@erols.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:3982] Re: Readability Testing--Try the FRY!

Hello Folks. Yep--the computerized formulas just have too much room for
error--often coming in a grade to a grade and a half above or below the
actual reading level.

In the health literacy field for nearly two decades, I definitely prefer
using the FRY test. I have found it to be quite accurate and easy to do once
you get the hang of it.

As with all readability formulas--I offer this caveat. The formulas just
look at the words. We know that a blue zillion things go into producing a
document
that is health literate and easy-to-read as well as being appealing. You
know those things--culture, graphics, type size, font choice, line length,
paper choice, ink choice, being behavior focused.. . .the list goes on.

But, if you just want to know the reading level--use the FRY. also, look in
the NIFL archives for practical comments when the readability issue came up
last year.

Good luck with readability and give Fry a try!

With regards,

Jann Keenan, Ed.S.
President, The Keenan Group, Inc. --Experts in Health Literacy
9862 Century Drive, Ellicott City, MD 21042
410-480-9716
www.keenangroupinc.com
Founding member, The Clear Language Group