[NIFL-HEALTH:3948] RE: Pediatric Literacy Initiatives

From: Lisa Bernstein (lisa.expect@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 16:10:22 EST

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:10:22 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Lisa Bernstein" <lisa.expect@verizon.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-health@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-HEALTH:3948] RE: Pediatric Literacy Initiatives

Lora-

We have a prenatal health and literacy program, called the BABY BASICS
program that provides appropriate prenatal educational materials for
mothers who read at as low as a 3rd grade reading level.
--The program has an integrated curriculum and support materials that
allows doctors, nurses, administrators, WIC educators, labor and
delivery educators and fatherhood inititative leaders to all be "on the
same page."
--Our training in prenatal health literacy and BABY BASIC's materials
helps everyone from receptionists to doctors understand and overcome the
barriers to care presented by low-literacy.
--Adult literacy providers are networked with the prenatal care sites to
provide adult literacy training and ESL using the prenatal materials.
What better way to teach a pregnant mother to read?
--Lastly, there are always bored older siblings in waiting rooms for
mom's apointment.  So we're putting children's books in the waiting
rooms of prenatal clinics and giving mothers a children's book at
delivery.

We've just created our first model sites in Newark, NJ and are helping
to develop BABY BASICS model programs nationwide starting this summer.
For more information visit our website and call me.

We, by the way, are the same people who created What To Expect When
You're Expecting...the nation's bestselling pregnancy guide.

Lisa Bernstein
Executive Director
The What To Expect Foundation
212-712-9764