[NIFL-ESL:11014] Fw: Re: Lesson Planning for a "model" ESL program - input?

From: jataylor (jataylor@utk.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 13:43:50 EDT

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:43:50 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: jataylor <jataylor@utk.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:11014] Fw: Re: Lesson Planning for a "model" ESL program - input?

Fyi.
Jackie Taylor

>===== Original Message From nifl-technology@nifl.gov =====
Hi everyone,

Sorry to be late in reply with this.

I am somewhat familiar with the Lesson Plan Builder that David has
mentioned - and I think it's really great.  I was also wondering if
perhaps another method might be for folks to actually share their own
templates (because I KNOW that you have them out there) - and then to
develop/tailor one to suit particular needs.

But Sandra, I also was interested in hearing you talk more about this
piece:

>  Of course, we know that they will not create a formal
> plan before each class, but we want them to at least
> know how to do so and understand the principals that
> support each component of an ESOL-specific lesson
> plan.

Why wouldn't they be expected to do this?  Isn't this a fundamental part
of teaching?  When directing programs in the 90s, the teachers and
volunteers in the program were expected to develop lesson plans, that
we then collected so that others could utilize them.  (We also used
them to develop curriculum, examine outcomes of the class, determine
what would happen next, etc.  We also developed learner profiles for
each student so that we would have some good data on who folks were,
what they wanted/needed, and what they were already capable of.)

I actually can't understand how someone could teach without carefully
addressing the many steps in the teaching process - a bunch of which
come before stepping into the classroom that day.  For me, that would
be like flying by the seat of one's pants, which I (rightly or not)
believe knocks down quality.

What do others think?
marie