[NIFL-ESL:10954] RE: Research Help - 2nd Lang Literacy to

From: Helaine Marshall (lainemarsh@optonline.net)
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 19:50:38 EDT

Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:50:38 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Helaine Marshall <lainemarsh@optonline.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10954] RE: Research Help - 2nd Lang Literacy to

Hi Colleen,
My research on the Hmong adult learner should be of help.  In my article,
published in Cultural Circles, Volume 3, 1998, A Mutually Adaptive Learning
Paradigm (MALP) for Hmong Students, I discuss how to approach literacy
issues with oral cultures.  There is an extensive bibliography as well. The
article may be hard to locate, as the journal is somewhat obscure, so send
your snail mail offline.
I am also working as a consultant on the final revisions of a new English
Literacy/Civics Education curriculum specifically designed for this
population (with little or no formal education and/or literacy background).
I can send you more info if you are interested.
Helaine Marshall
Director, TESOL Programs
Westchester Graduate Campus
Long Island University