[NIFL-ESL:10843] Re: assistance required

From: Rhona Davis (E.R.Davis@warwick.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 10:13:41 EDT

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:13:41 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Rhona Davis" <E.R.Davis@warwick.ac.uk>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10843] Re: assistance required

Dear Fiona,
I was very interested to read about your colleague as I actually work in Aston teaching ESOL (as well as Nechells - another inner city Birmingham area) and am currently involved in an action research project which has recently become titled 'A holistic approach to teaching ESOL community students', as it has become clear that there are many issues that they have that need addressing, such as confidence-buliding, future progression routes (i.e. careers and FE course advice), as well as the practical problems that need dealing with, though currently these mainly affect the asylum seekers rather than the Bengali and Pakistani women in the classes.
My main source of research studies, which is very limited as it is a new organisation, is the NRDC, which has all of its existing research articles on the Internet.
If your colleague thinks it might be useful I would be very interested in contacting him/her, but I'll leave that up to you to decide.
Rhona

>>> fionafrank@soundboard.f9.co.uk 04/18/05 11:07am >>>

Dear all

I haven't been around for a bit but am still alive and well in Lancaster,
England.    A colleague has asked me for some advice and clarity.... he's
involved in doing a research and evaluation project looking at 'Aston
Pride', a project getting Asians in Birmingham involved in increasing use of
ICT.

He's asked me for ideas on research studies looking at language, literacy,
aspirations, employment potential or outcomes, for Asian populations in
English cities.

I realise that most of you are in the US, but have any of you been involved
in any similar study in your areas with immigrant and second language
speaking groups?  Could any of you point me in the direction of any such
study?

(and hi to David Rosen, Ujwala, and other friends...)

Best wishes
Fiona Frank

'Silver-Rae'
3 Dalton Road, Lancaster LA1 3PR

(and Consultant, Dept of Educational Research, Lancaster University)

email fionafrank@soundboard.f9.co.uk
http://www.hannahfrank.org.uk