[NIFL-ESL:10716] Re: Field trips with large classes

From: Ann Gillespie (ann@prolinguanashville.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 12:09:09 EST

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:09:09 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ann Gillespie" <ann@prolinguanashville.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10716] Re: Field trips with large classes

For great on-line activities to do before or after going to any library or
museum (especially if its an art museum) check out www.projectaccess.org.
Project Access is an IMLS grant-funded project of the Frist Center for the
Visual Arts and the Nashville Public Library.  The project is an 8-class
session for adult ELL students to learn to access libraries and museums.
It's geared for learners with an intermediate English level.

The student home page has fun activities to practice vocabulary including
explore-by-scenes and vocabulary lists with pronunciation help.  For
teachers, there are lesson plans.  Though they are specific to Project
Access, you might find some good ideas.

Actually, it is one of the most incredible projects of which I've ever been
a part.  It's been a great way for int to adv students to practice their
English in authentic situations.  You won't believe the powerful stories the
students have told through a piece of narrative art and accompanying essay.

Specific suggestions for you and your group:
have at least  one class to pre-teach, call ahead to ask for a docent-guided
tour, on the visit encourage the students to discuss what they see,  maybe
have a scavenger hunt activity, and after the visit give the students ample
opportunity to discuss/write about what they saw and the relevance to their
lives and past experiences.

Don't miss this opportunity!

Ann Gillespie
ann@prolinguanashville.com