[NIFL-ESL:10698] Re: ESL class size

From: Dottie (dottie@shattuck.net)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 20:51:07 EST

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:51:07 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Dottie" <dottie@shattuck.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10698] Re: ESL class size

Ah, Tracy.......you've asked one of the "touchy-est" questions in adult ESL!
Over the past 10-15 years, my classes (beginners) have varied from 5 or 6 to
40!  [Usually when I had 40, the drop-out rate took it down to 25-30 within
3-4 weeks.]   The huge classes were at the community college in Charlotte
where 15 was the minimum for a class.  Less than that & the class was
cancelled, so we got nervous if the numbers went down to 20.  (This was true
for the academic classes too.)

Presently, my classes range from 6-12, but I actually miss the classes of
20-25.  They were more diverse & I could do more group activities & have
more interaction.  I'd really like 12-16 -- great for paired & group work &
I can actually get to each one individually in 2 hrs.

Dottie Shattuck
Tri-district Adult Edu./ESL
York County, SC