- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Angermeyer, M. C., & Matschinger, H. (1996). The effect of violent attacks by schizophrenic persons on the attitude of the public towards the mentally ill. Social Science Medicine, 43, 17211728.
- Bachrach, L. L. (1996). The state of the state mental hospital 1996. Psychiatric Services, 47, 10711078.
- Baum, A., & Posluszny, D. M. (1999). Health psychology: Mapping biobehavioral contributions to health and illness. Annual Review of Psychology, 50, 137163.
- Chambless, D. L., Sanderson, W. C., Shohman, V., Bennett, J. S., Pope, K. S., Crits-Cristoph, P., Baker, M., Johnson, B., Woody, S. R., Sue, S., Beutler, L., Williams, D. A., & McMurry, S. (1996). An update on empirically validated therapies. Clinical Psychologist, 49, 518.
- Cohen, S., & Herbert, T. B. (1996). Health psychology: Psychological factors and physical disease from the perspective of human psychoneuroimmunology. Annual Review of Psychology, 47, 113142.
- Conwell, Y. (1996). Diagnosis and treatment of depression in late life. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.
- Cooper-Patrick, L., Powe, N. R., Jenckes, M. W., Gonzales, J. J., Levine, D. M., & Ford, D. E. (1997). Identification of patient attitudes and preferences regarding treatment of depression. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 12, 431438.
- Corrigan, P. W. & Penn, D. L. (1999). Lessons from social psychology on discrediting psychiatric stigma. American Psychologist, 54, 765776.
- Cowen, E. L. (1994). The enhancement of psychological wellness: Challenges and opportunities. American Journal of Community Psychology, 22, 149179.
- DiMasi, J. A., & Lasagna, L. (1995). The economics of psychotropic drug development. In F. E. Bloom & D. J. Kupfer (Eds.), Psychopharmacology: The fourth generation of progress. (pp. 18831895). New York: Raven Press.
- DSM-IV. See American Psychiatric Association (1994).
- Eisendrath, S. J., & Feder, A. (in press). The mind and somatic illness: Psychological factors affecting physical illness. In H. H. Goldman (Ed.), Review of general psychiatry (5th ed.). Norwalk, CT: Appleton & Lange.
- Eronen, M., Angermeyer, M. C., & Schulze, B. (1998). The psychiatric epidemiology of violent behavior. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 33(Suppl. 1), S13S23.
- Fischbach, G. D. (1992). Mind and brain. Scientific American, 267, 4857.
- Food and Drug Administration. (1998). Center for Drug Evaluation and Research handbook [On-line]. Available: http://www.fda.gov/cder/ handbook/index.htm
- Frasure-Smith, N., Lesperance, F., & Talajic, M. (1993). Depression following myocardial infarction. Impact on 6-month survival. Journal of the American Medical Association, 270, 18191825.
- Frasure-Smith, N., Lesperance, F., & Talajic, M. (1995). Depression and 18-month prognosis after myocardial infarction. Circulation, 91, 9991005.
- Gazzaniga, M. S., Ivry, R. B., & Mangun, G. R. (1998). Cognitive neuroscience: The biology of the mind. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Grob, G. N. (1983). Mental illness and American society, 18751940. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Grob, G. N. (1991). From asylum to community. Mental health policy in modern America. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Grob, G. N. (1994). The mad among us: A history of the care of America's mentally ill. New York: Free Press.
- Gurin, J., Veroff, J., & Feld, S. (1960). Americans view their mental health: A nationwide interview survey (A report to the staff director, Jack R. Ewalt). New York: Basic Books.
- Hanson, K. W. (1998). Public opinion and the mental health parity debate: Lessons from the survey literature. Psychiatric Services, 49, 10591066.
- Heginbotham, C. (1998). UK mental health policy can alter the stigma of mental illness. Lancet, 352, 10521053.
- Hoyt, D. R., Conger, R. D., Valde, J. G., & Weihs, K. (1997). Psychological distress and help seeking in rural America. American Journal of Community Psychology, 25, 449470.
- Jones, A. H. (1998). Mental illness made public: Ending the stigma? Lancet, 352, 1060.
- Kandel, E. R. (1998). A new intellectual framework for psychiatry. American Journal of Psychiatry, 155, 457469.
- Kessler, R. C., Nelson, C. B., McKinagle, K. A., Edlund, M. J., Frank, R. G., & Leaf, P. J. (1996). The epidemiology of co-occurring addictive and mental disorders: Implications for prevention and service utilization. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 66, 1731.
- Last, J. M., & Wallace, R. B. (Eds.). (1992). Maxcy-Rosenau-Last public health and preventive medicine (13th ed.). Norwalk, CT: Appleton and Lange.
- Link, B., Phelan, J., Bresnahan, M., Stueve, A., & Pescosolido, B. (in press). Public conceptions of mental illness: The labels, causes, dangerousness and social distance. American Journal of Public Health.
- Murray, C. J. L., & Lopez, A. D. (Eds.). (1996). The global burden of disease. A comprehensive assessment of mortality and disability from diseases, injuries, and risk factors in 1990 and projected to 2020. Cambridge, MA: Harvard School of Public Health.
- Penn, D. L., & Martin, J. (1998). The stigma of severe mental illness: Some potential solutions for a recalcitrant problem. Psychiatric Quarterly, 69, 235247.
- Phelan, J., Link, B., Stueve, A., & Pescosolido, B. (1997, August). Public conceptions of mental illness in 1950 in 1996: Has sophistication increased? Has stigma declined? Paper presented at the meeting of the American Sociological Association, Toronto, Ontario.
- Regier, D. A., Narrow, W. E., Rae, D. S., Manderscheid, R. W., Locke, B. Z., & Goodwin, F. K. (1993). The de facto US mental and addictive disorders service system. Epidemiologic Catchment Area prospective 1-year prevalence rates of disorders and services. Archives of General Psychiatry, 50, 8594.
- Secker, J. (1998). Current conceptualizations of mental health and mental health promotion. Health Education Research, 13, 5766.
- Star, S. A. (1952). What the public thinks about mental health and mental illness. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Association for Mental Health.
- Star, S. A. (1955). The public's ideas about mental illness. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Association for Mental Health.
- Steadman, H. J., Mulvey, E. P., Monahan, J., Robbins, P. C., Appelbaum, P. S., Grisso, T., Roth, L. H., & Silver, E. (1998). Violence by people discharged from acute psychiatric inpatient facilities and by others in the same neighborhoods. Archives of General Psychiatry, 55, 393401.
- Sussman, L. K., Robins, L. N., & Earls, F. (1987). Treatment-seeking for depression by black and white Americans. Social Science and Medicine, 24, 187196.
- Swanson, J. W. (1994). Mental disorder, substance abuse, and community violence: An epidemiological approach. In J. Monahan & H. J. Steadman (Eds.), Violence and mental disorder: Developments in risk assessment (pp. 101136). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Swartz, M. S., Swanson, J. W., & Burns, B. J. (1998). Taking the wrong drugs: The role of substance abuse and medication noncompliance in violence among severely mentally ill individuals. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 33(Suppl. 1), S75S80.
- Swindle, R., Heller, K., & Pescosolido, B. (1997, August). Responses to "nervous breakdowns" in America over a 40-year period: Mental health policy implications. Paper presented at the meeting of American Sociological Association, Toronto, Ontario.
- Veroff, J., Douvan, E., & Kulka, R. A. (1981). Mental health in America: Patterns of help-seeking from 1957 to 1976. New York: Basic Books.
- Zisook, S., & Shuchter, S. R. (1991). Depression through the first year after the death of a spouse. American Journal of Psychiatry, 148, 13461352.
- Zisook, S., & Shuchter, S. R. (1993). Major depression associated with widowhood. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 1, 316326. Blank page.
Back to Top
Home | Contents | Previous | Next