skip navigational links United States Department of Labor
May 8, 2009   
DOL Home > Newsroom > Flood Recovery Assistance
DOL Home

Flood Recovery Assistance

Printer-Friendly Version

On This Page

The U.S. Department of Labor assists in recovery efforts in the communities affected by floods. For general questions and assistance, please contact DOL's National Contact Center at 1-866-4-USA-DOL (1-866-487-2365)

The Department of Labor support includes the following income and job assistance:

National Emergency Grants

  • National Emergency Grants (NEGs)
    Impacted states can apply for NEG funds that can be used to temporarily employ dislocated workers. These funds can be used to employ workers on projects that provide food, clothing, shelter and other humanitarian assistance for disaster victims.
    Learn how to apply for a National Emergency Grant.

Cleanup & Recovery

  • Service Contract Act
    The Service Contract Act (SCA), which generally applies to federally-funded clean-up activities following a disaster, requires contractors and subcontractors performing services on prime contracts in excess of $2,500 to pay service employees in various classes no less than the wage rates and fringe benefits found prevailing in the locality, or the rates (including prospective increases) contained in a predecessor contractor's collective bargaining agreement. For more information on the SCA, visit
  • Davis-Bacon Regulations for Federal Contractors
    The Davis-Bacon Act requires all contractors and subcontractors performing work on federal or District of Columbia construction contracts or federally assisted contracts in excess of $2,000 to pay their laborers and mechanics not less than the prevailing wage rates and fringe benefits for corresponding classes of laborers and mechanics employed on similar projects in the area. In addition to the Davis-Bacon Act itself, Congress has added prevailing wage provisions to approximately 60 statutes which assist construction projects through grants, loans, loan guarantees, and insurance. These are referred to as “Related Acts.” For more information on the Davis-Bacon and Related Acts, visit

Other Resources

For information on other available Federal resources, please visit

For information on the latest Federal Disaster Declarations by state and county, please visit

For information on how citizens can locate and apply for disaster relief, please visit

News Releases


Phone Numbers