The new National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Obesity Guidelines say that whether or not you're trying to lose weight, you
can eat healthy when dining out, if you know how.
So, if you're treating yourself to a meal out, here are some tips
to help make it a dining experience that is both tasty and good for you.
Will the restaurant:
- Serve margarine rather than butter with the meal?
- Serve fat free (skim) milk rather than whole milk or cream?
- Trim visible fat from poultry or meat?
- Leave all butter, gravy or sauces off a dish?
- Serve salad dressing on the side?
- Accommodate special requests?
- Use less cooking oil when cooking?
Select foods which are:
- Garden fresh
- Lightly sauteed or stir-fried
Source: The National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Institute in cooperation with the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive
and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health.