Printer Friendly

Immigration Overseas Offices

Overseas Offices provide limited services to U.S. Citizens, permanent residents of the U.S. and certain other persons who are visiting or residing outside the United States who need assistance in immigration matters. These services include:

Abandonment of Alien Status as a Lawful Permanent Resident (Form I-407): The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status. Therefore, one should give careful thought to abandoning lawful permanent resident status.

Adoptions (Forms I-600 and I-600A): For U.S. citizens residing outside the United States who wish to adopt an orphan and file a Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative (Form I-600) and Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition (Form I-600A) at the Overseas Office.

For specific information on international adoptions and procedures please see the State Department website and our Fact Sheet How Do I Bring a Foreign-Born Orphan to the United States?

Immediate Relative Immigrant Petitions (Form I-130): For U.S. citizens residing outside the United States who wish to file a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) for certain immediate relatives.

Transportation Boarding Letters: A transportation letter may be issued to a lawful permanent resident to replace a lost or stolen alien registration card (Form I-551) by visiting the Rome Office during normal business hours. If determined eligible, the letter will be issued the same day. The following documents will be required:

  1. Proper Identification
  2. Police Report
  3. Proof of Residence in the United States within the last year
  4. Passport size photographs (4)
  5. Copy of your return airline tickets

Waivers (Form I-601): When applying for a visa to enter the United States, some customers may be found to be inadmissible (not eligible to enter the United States). In very specific circumstances, some customers may be able to apply for a waiver to overcome the reason(s) they are inadmissible. If you are overseas and have been instructed to submit a Form I-601, some overseas offices may accept the application.

Refugee Processing: USCIS overseas offices do not accept refugee resettlement applications directly. These should be filed with the State Department's local designated voluntary agencies. We are also unable to check the status of any pending refugee resettlement application. Please contact the voluntary agency to which the application was submitted. Inquiries on previously rejected refugee applications should be addressed to the voluntary agency with which the application was submitted.

Related Links

Bookmark and Share

Take Our Survey

I found this information: