Printer Friendly

Immigration Medical Examinations

Most applicants for adjustment of status are required to have a medical examination. The medical examination must be conducted by a civil surgeon who has been designated by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Medical examinations are needed for adjustment of status cases (Form I-485) and requests for V nonimmigrant status (Form I-539).

Finding A Designated Civil Surgeon in Your Area

For the most current list of civil surgeons in your area, please check our Civil Surgeons Locator, below. You will be asked to key in your zip code to help determine the list of designated civil surgeons close to you.

Doctors interested in being registered as a Designated Civil Surgeon should submit the following to their local District Office:

  • A letter to the District Director requesting consideration
  • A copy of a current medical license
  • A current resume that shows 4 years of professional experience, not including a residency program
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship or lawful status in the United States
  • Two signature cards showing name typed and signature below


This page can be found at

Related Links

Bookmark and Share

Take Our Survey

I found this information: