NIOSH HAZARD REVIEW

Health Effects of Occupational Exposure
to Respirable Crystalline Silica

<Back
Table of Contents
corner image line image
corner image line image
  Table 17

Table 17. Loss of lung function (FEV1)* associated with cumulative exposure to respirable granite dust
Reference and country
Study design, cohort, and followup
Subgroup
Loss of FEV1
Adjusted for smoking
Comments
Observed
(estimated ml/yr)
Predicted
(ml per
mg/m3 year)
Eisen et al. [1995],
United States
Longitudinal study of 618 white male granite workers hired after 1940, aged 25–65; employed 14.7 yr (mean), and followed 1970–1974 for annual pulmonary function testing [Eisen et al. 1983]. Quartz content of dust was 11% [Hosey et al. 1957]. Nonsmokers
34–72
Yes
Significant dose-response (P<0.05) was observed in the "dropout" group but not in the "survivor" group or the total cohort [Eisen et al. 1983]. After 1940, granite dust concentrations in Vermont granite sheds were <10 million particles per cubic foot (mppcf), or a respirable silica concentration of about 0.075 mg/m3 [Davis et al. 1983].
Smokers
53–69
Nonsilicotic nonsmokers
Theriault
et al. [1974b],
United States
Cross-sectional study of 792 male, current granite shed workers aged 25–65. Quartz content of dust was 9% [Theriault 1974a] Granite dust exposure
1.6,§
3§
Yes

Predicted loss based on results of linear regression models.

Predicted loss based on results of multiple regression analysis. Exposure-response relationship found between cumulative dust exposure and cumulative quartz exposure and loss of FEV1.

Quartz dust exposure
1.5**
2.9§
*Forced expiratory volume in 1 second.
In dropout group (i.e., subjects lost to followup). No predicted loss in survivor group.
Per dust-year (i.e., granite shed dust exposure of 0.52 mg/m3 for 40 hr/week for 1 yr).
§Included silicotics.
**Per quartz-year (i.e., quartz dust exposure of 0.05 mg/m3 for 40 hr/week for 1 yr).
corner image line image
corner image line image

<back Table of Contents
corner image line image