skip navigational links United States Department of Labor
A to Z Index | Find It! in DOL |            [skip navigational links]     Search MSHA's Website   Search MSHA
MSHA FOIA Information
How to Make a FOIA Request

Freedom of Information Act Requests: The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) allows the public to request records maintained by any federal agency. Under FOIA, agencies are required to provide the requested records unless they are exempt from disclosure as defined in the Act.

To request records from the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA), individuals must submit a written request by mail, delivery service, courier, facsimile (fax), or e-mail. The request and the envelope, e-mail subject line, or facsimile cover sheet should be clearly marked "Freedom of Information Act Request" or "FOIA Request."
  • Requests submitted by e-mail must be sent to:
    *Requests submitted to any other e-mail address will not be accepted.

  • Requests submitted by mail, delivery service, courier, or fax may be sent to either the National MSHA FOIA Officer or the appropriate MSHA FOIA Officer for the program office that maintains the records.

  • Click here for a listing of the MSHA program office contact information.


    Submit a request to the National MSHA FOIA Officer:

      U.S. Department of Labor - MSHA
      FOIA Officer
      1100 Wilson Blvd., Room 2311
      Arlington, VA 22209-3939

      Phone: 202-693-9475
      Fax: 202- 693-9441

Back to Top   Back to Top

Frequently Asked Questions | Freedom of Information Act | Customer Survey
Accessibility | Privacy & Security Statement | Disclaimers

Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)
1100 Wilson Boulevard, 21st Floor
Arlington, VA 22209-3939
Phone:    (202) 693-9400
Fax-on-demand: (202) 693-9401
Technical (web) questions: Webmaster
On-line Filing Help:
or call (877) 778-6055

Contact Us