Student Aid on the Web Skip Navigation

Closed School Information

You may be able to have your student loan debt discharged if your school closed while you were enrolled.

The loan can be discharged if you were enrolled when the school closed and couldn't complete the program because of the closure. If you were on an approved leave of absence, you are considered to have been enrolled at the school. If your school closed within 90 days after you withdrew, you are also considered eligible for the discharge. However, your loan cannot be cancelled because of personal circumstances that caused you to withdraw more than 90 days before the school closed. If you need to find out the day when your school officially closed, you can visit our Closed School Search Page.

Closed School Customer Service Contact Information

Please bear in mind that you are not eligible for the discharge if you are completing a comparable educational program at another school. If you complete a comparable program of study at another school after your loan is discharged, you may have to pay back the amount of the discharge. If you haven't received a diploma or certificate but have completed all of the coursework for the program, you're not eligible for the discharge.

Loan Discharge Information

How do I get my financial aid and academic records if my school closes?

If you are trying to locate your records from a closed school, you should contact the state licensing agency in the state in which the school was located to ask whether the state made arrangements to store the records. The records might be useful in substantiating your claim for a loan discharge. For more information, please visit

You may need your academic records if you plan to attend another school and wish to have your coursework at the closed school taken into consideration. If you are applying for aid at the new school, it can check the Financial Aid History information included on the Student Aid Report that you received, or in the electronic record that it receives. If you're transferring in the middle of the year, your new school must check your information in the National Student Loan Data System.

Last updated/reviewed February 11, 2009

End of Page