Extension of Time to File Your Tax Return
Need more time to prepare your federal tax return? This page provides information on how to apply for an extension of time to file.
Please be aware that an extension of time to file your return does not grant you any extension of time to pay your tax liability.
Extensions for Individuals
If you are not able to file your federal individual income tax return by the due date, you may be able to get an automatic 6-month extension of time to file. To do so, you must file Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Income Tax Return by the due date for filing your calendar year return (usually April 15) or fiscal year return. This form is also available en español.
Special rules may apply if you are:
You can also go to Filing Information in Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax (HTML page), for more information regarding the rules for automatic extensions and filing federal individual income tax returns.
Extensions for Corporations, Partnerships, REMICs, and Certain Trusts
- Form 7004, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File Certain Business Income Tax, Information, and Other Returns
- Form 1138, Extension of Time for Payment of Taxes by a Corporation Expecting a Net Operating Loss Carryback
Other Extension Forms
- Form 2350 Application for Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (For U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad Who Expect To Qualify for Special Tax Treatment)
- Form 4768 Application for Extension of Time to File a Return and/or Pay U.S. Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Taxes
- Form 5558 Application for Extension of Time to File Certain Employee Plan Returns
- Form 8809 Application for Extension of Time to File Information Returns
- Form 8868, Application for Extension of Time To File an Exempt Organization Return.
- Form 8892, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Form 709 and/or Payment of Gift/Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax
Page last updated 28-NOV-2007
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: November 14, 2008