Itemized Deductions/Standard Deductions
Top Frequently Asked Questions for Itemized Deductions/Standard Deductions
- What types of educational expenses are deductible?
- Am I eligible to claim both my job education expenses (minus 2% of AGI) and the Lifetime Learning Credit on my taxes?
- How do I claim an educational expense on my return?
- I donated a used car to a qualified charity. I itemize my deductions, and I would like to take a charitable contribution for the donation. Do I need to attach any special forms to my return? What records do I need to keep?
- Can I deduct alimony paid to my former spouse?
- Is interest on a home equity line of credit deductible as a second mortgage?
- Is the mortgage interest and property tax on a second residence deductible?
- I am in a disaster area and heard the IRS could help me. What can the IRS do?
Frequently Asked Question Subcategories for Itemized Deductions/Standard Deductions
- Autos, Computers, Electronic Devices (Listed Property)
- Education & Work-Related Expenses
- Gifts & Charitable Contributions
- Interest, Investment, Money Transactions (Alimony, Bad Debts, Applicable Federal Interest Rate, Gambling, Legal Fees, Loans, etc.)
- Medical, Nursing Home, Special Care Expenses
- Real Estate (Taxes, Mortgage Interest, Points, Other Property Expenses)
- Other Deduction Questions
Back to Frequently Asked Questions
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: December 10, 2008