Accessibility Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Main Content Home  |  Change Text Size  |  Contact IRS  |  About IRS  |  Site Map  |  Español  |  Help  
magnifying glass
Advanced Search   Search Tips

Small Business/Self-Employed/Other Business

Top Frequently Asked Questions for Small Business/Self-Employed/Other Business

  1. Can a husband and wife run a business as a sole proprietor or do they need to be a partnership?
  2. Must a partnership or corporation file a tax form even though it had no income for the year?
  3. What is the difference between a Form W-2 and a Form 1099-MISC?
  4. How do you determine if a person is an employee or an independent contractor?
  5. As an employer, do I have any liability if my employees receive tips but don't report them to me?
  6. If an employee claims more than 10 exemptions on their Form W-4, does the employer have to report this to the IRS?
  7. Does a small company need a tax ID number?
  8. If I pay personal expenses out of my business bank account, should I count the money used as part of my income, or can I write these expenses off?
  9. For business travel, are there limits on the amounts deductible for meals?

Frequently Asked Question Subcategories for Small Business/Self-Employed/Other Business

  1. Entities: Sole Proprietor, Partnership, Limited Liability Company/Partnership (LLC/LLP), Corporation, Subchapter S Corporation
  2. Form 1099-MISC & Independent Contractors
  3. Form W-2, FICA, Medicare, Tips, Employee Benefits
  4. Form W-4 & Wage Withholding
  5. Form SS-4 & Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  6. Forms 941, 940, Employment Taxes
  7. Income & Expenses
  8. Schedule C & Schedule SE
  9. Starting or Ending a Business

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: December 10, 2008