Accessibility Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Main Content Home  |  Change Text Size  |  Contact IRS  |  About IRS  |  Site Map  |  Español  |  Help  
magnifying glass
Advanced Search   Search Tips

Aliens and U.S. Citizens Living Abroad

Top Frequently Asked Questions for Aliens and U.S. Citizens Living Abroad

  1. I am a U.S. citizen. If I move to Canada to live and work there as a Canadian permanent resident, do I pay both U.S. and Canadian Taxes?
  2. Is there an Internet site with the exchange rates to convert foreign currencies to American dollars?
  3. Do I have to meet the 330-day presence test or have a valid working resident visa to meet the requirement for foreign income exclusion?
  4. I live in a foreign country. How do I get a social security number for my dependent who qualifies for a social security card?
  5. Under my visa as a temporary nonresident alien, I'm not subject to social security and Medicare withholding. My employer withheld the taxes from my pay. What should I do to get a refund of my social security and Medicare?
  6. Are nonresident alien students, with F-1 or J-1 visas and employed by a U.S. company during the summer, required to have federal income taxes withheld from their paychecks?
  7. I am a U.S. citizen working for a U.S. firm in a foreign country. Is any part of my wages or expenses tax deductible?
  8. How do I know if the U.S. has an income tax treaty with another country?

Frequently Asked Question Subcategories for Aliens and U.S. Citizens Living Abroad

  1. Canadian & U.S. Tax Issues
  2. Exchange Rate
  3. Foreign Income & Foreign Income Exclusion
  4. Nonresident Alien - General
  5. Nonresident Alien - Tax Withholding
  6. Nonresident Alien - Students
  7. U.S. Citizens Overseas
  8. Other

Back to Frequently Asked Questions

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: December 10, 2008