Accessibility Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Main Content Home  |  Change Text Size  |  Contact IRS  |  About IRS  |  Site Map  |  Español  |  Help  
magnifying glass
Advanced Search   Search Tips

What Information Should I Provide To The Taxpayer Advocate Service?

  • Your name, address, and social security number (or employer identification number),
  • Your telephone number and hours you can be reached,
  • Your previous attempts to solve the problem, and the office you contacted,
  • The type of tax return and year(s) involved, and
  • Description of the problem or hardship (if applicable).

If you want to authorize another person to discuss the matter or to receive information about your case, download Form 2848 , Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative. You may also download Form 2848 Instructions . Or, you may use Form 8821 , Tax Information Authorization if you want another person to receive information about your case but not represent you. If you are unable to download and print these documents, you can get them at most local IRS offices or by calling the IRS forms-only number, 1-800-829-3676


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: June 18, 2007