The Office on Women's Health (OWH) in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is dedicated to improving the health and well-being of women and girls in the United States. OWH is working with NHLBI to develop The Heart Truth campaign materials for health professionals. The OWH currently has many educational programs and resources including these heart-focused activities:
- Offering an array of educational materials for use by educators, practicing health professionals, and students. These materials include clinical resources and education, which are available at www.womenshealth.gov/hearttruth. In addition, a Web-based CME about women and heart disease is available on Medscape® at www.medscape.com/home.
- Sponsoring Women's Heart Day on the third Friday in February, in partnership with the Sister to Sister Foundation, www.sistertosister.org, featuring a large-scale health fair with free screenings, education sessions, and much more.
- Supporting Centers of Excellence in Women's Health and Community Centers of Excellence in Women's Health to provide local resources for professional and public education and community outreach.
- Distributing free copies of The Healthy Heart Handbook for Women through its order hotline: 800-994-WOMAN.
- Supporting WomenHeart and the Cardiovascular Research Foundation's development of www.hearthealthywomen.org,
a user-friendly Web site devoted to heart disease in women, for patients, and health care professionals.
back to top
The American Heart Association (AHA) is
the largest voluntary health organization fighting
heart disease, stroke, and other cardiovascular diseases. In February 2004, AHA launched a complementary "Go Red For Women" campaign, which embraces the Red Dress to symbolize women's greatest health risk as well as the color red in raising awareness. Activities include:
- Organizing galas and luncheons that incorporate the Red Dress theme.
- Conducting American Heart Walks that incorporate women and heart disease messages.
- Sponsoring conferences, workshops, and education sessions for women about heart disease.
back to top
the National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease is
the nation's only patient advocacy organization
for women living with heart disease. The
organization's activities include:
- Offering advocacy, information, and support for
women with heart disease.
- Sponsoring an annual four-day science and leadership
symposium for women with heart disease. The
program's graduates put their training to work
in their communities.
- Sponsoring a national patient advocacy conference
for women living with heart disease and their families.
- Developing a pilot Web site, funded by the Office
on Women's Health (DHHS), to provide women and
their physicians research-based information about
the diagnosis and treatment of heart disease in
back to top
Other national organizations have partnered with The Heart Truth campaign to spread the message about women and heart disease:
- American College
of Cardiology – www.acc.org
- American Society of Association of Executives – www.centeronline.org
- Association of Black Cardiologists – www.abcardio.org
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses – www.awhonn.org
- Black Women's Health Imperative – www.blackwomenshealth.org
- Chi Eta Phi Sorority, Inc. – www.chietaphi.com
- Events of the Heart – www.eventsoftheheart.org
- General Federation of Women's Clubs – www.gfwc.org
- George Washington University Hospital's Women's Heart Program – www.gwhospital.com/p7148.html
- Hadassah – www.hadassah.org
- League of United Latin American Citizens, Women – www.lulac.org/women.html
- The Links, Inc. – www.linksinc.org
- MANA, A National Latina Organization – www.hermana.org
- National Association of Latina Leaders – www.latinaleaders.org
- National Black Nurses Association – www.nbna.org
- National Coalition of Pastors' Spouses – www.pastorspouses.com
- National Latina Health Network – www.nlhn.net
- Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association – www.pcna.net;
- Sister to Sister: Everyone Has a Heart Foundation – www.sistertosister.org
- Spirit of Women – www.spiritofwomen.org
- Society for Women's Health Research – www.womenshealthresearch.org
- St. Agnes Hospital, A Sister's Heart, Baltimore, MD – www.sistersheart.org
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa, Canada – www.ottawaheart.ca/UOHI/Welcome.do
These organizations and many others are working to bring life-saving information and resources to women across America. To find out more, visit The Heart Truth Activity Registry.
back to top
Spread the Word About The Heart Truth
Make an impact on the leading killer of American women by using The Heart Truth Online Toolkit to plan your own activity or event. Be sure to check out what may already be happening in your community by contacting our partners—then, GET ACTIVE!
back to top