[Xplor-nih] Distance geometry output

John Kuszewski johnk at mail.nih.gov
Thu Jun 21 20:29:20 EDT 2007

Hi Jason,

Wow, what a blast from the past.  I didn't think anyone used the
distance geometry engine any more!

It took me a while to untangle what's giving rise to the error
messages you're seeing.  I'm not
absolutely positive of my diagnosis, especially since this seems to
be code that Axel added after
I finished it.

My guess is that these error messages are coming from the limitations
of triangle bound smoothing.
During metrization, you're picking random distances between the upper
and lower bounds deduced
from the input constraints (bonds, NOEs, etc) using the triangle
inequalities.  Unfortunately, the triangle
inequalities are insufficient to guarantee that the bounds they imply
are embeddable in three dimensions.
Using inequalities involving more than three atoms at a time would
produce more consistent distance
bounds, but it's prohibitively expensive in compute time (and
programmer time).

The upshot is that the coordinates that come out of the embedding
process will look crunched up, because
a bunch of the interatomic distances chosen aren't consistent with
each other in three dimensions.
Occasionally, these inconsistencies are large enough for the
metrization code to notice them, and it
produces these error messages.

In practical terms, these error messages are kind of pointless, since
there's nothing you can do about them.
Using the triangle inequalities alone for bound smoothing (as nearly
every distance geometry program does)
virtually guarantees geometric inconsistencies like this.  So don't
worry about them.  I'm sure you're doing
extensive energy minimization afterward, anyway.

A few suggestions:

1.  To save some CPU time (and probably reduce the number of those
error messages), you should switch
to four-atom metrization.  Change your script to read

mmdg
    metrization (all) 4
end

That will cut the compute time significantly without hurting the
quality of the embedded structures (such as it is)
or their conformational sampling.  You could look at my Very First
Paper for more details, if you wish.

2.  Don't use distance geometry!  It's quite slow, and the structures
it produces require extensive energy minimization
to be usable.  You're much better off just running molecular dynamics
based simulated annealing, starting from
random coordinates.

Hope this helps.

--JK