The overall goal of FIND is to identify genetic pathways that may be critical for the development of nephropathy and lead to candidates amenable to therapeutic strategies to prevent the onset or progression of nephropathy. Such data might aid identification of people at risk for the development of progressive renal disease. The specific goals of this program are as follows:
- Delineate genomic regions associated with the development and progression of renal disease(s)
- Evaluate whether there is a genetic link between diabetic nephropathy and diabetic retinopathy
- Improve outcomes
- Provide protection for people at risk and slow the progression of renal disease
- Help establish a resource for genetic studies of kidney disease and diabetic complications by creating a repository of genetic samples and a database
- Encourage studies of the genetics of progressive renal disease
For more information, please contact Dr. Rebekah Rasooly, Director, Genetics and Genomics Program.