Junior Faculty/Transition : NIDDK

Junior Faculty/Transition

•Once you have completed a few years (usually not more than 5) of research training, consider applying for a career development (K) award. K awards provide salary and laboratory support for individuals who have had some postdoctoral training and need 'protected time' at this critical period of their research career to receive further mentoring and gain the experience and publication record to become independent.
•NIDDK supports a number of different K-award types, all of which have certain things in common.
•Also consider other options, such as the R-series of awards. You are encouraged to apply for an R-series grant while being supported by a K-award so that your NIH funding is continuous. Current NIH policy allows for receiving salary support from both a K and an R grant under defined conditions.

Page last updated: November 25, 2008

General inquiries may be addressed to: Office of Communications & Public Liaison
Building 31. Rm 9A06
31 Center Drive, MSC 2560
Bethesda, MD 20892-2560
For information about NIDDK programs: 301.496.3583

The National Institutes of Health   Department of Health and Human Services   USA.gov is the U.S. government's official web portal to all federal, state, and local government web resources and services.  HONcode Seal - Link to the Health on the Net Foundation