joined our laboratory in October of 2000 after completing his B.S. in microbiology at Colorado State University
and working for Dartec, Inc. a subsidary of Con Agra as an analytical chemist. Since joining our lab, he has worked on a number of projects, inculding the role of Stat3 in mammary gland involution and, with Jean-Pierre Renou, the application of cDNA microarrays to study differential gene expression in various transgenic and knockout mouse models, and, with Marta Gallego, the role of HGF in mammary gland development and cancer progression. Brian's research also included the analysis of beta-catenin stabilization on prostate function and morphology and the development of viral vectors for the study of gene function in various cell types both in vitro and in vivo.
Brian left our laboratory in August of 2003 to pursue a graduate degree at Vanderbilt University
1. Bierie, B., Edwin, M., Melenhorst, J.J. and Hennighausen, L. (2004). The proliferation associated nuclear element (PANE1) is conserved between mammals and fish and preferentially expressed in activated lymphoid cells. Gene Expression Patterns, 4, 389-395.
2. Nemade, R., Bierie, B., Nozawa, M., Bry, C., Smith, G.H., Fuchs, E. and Hennighausen, L. (2003). Biogenesis and function of mouse mammary epithelium depends on the presence of functional alpha-catenin. Mechanisms of Development, 121, 91-99.
3. Gallego, M.I., Bierie, B. and Hennighausen, L. (2003) Targeted expression of HGF/SF in mouse mammary epithelium leads to metastatic adenosquamous carcinomas through the activation of multiple signaling pathways. leads to metastatic adenosquamous carcinomas through the activation of multiple signaling pathways. Oncogene, 22, 8498-8508.
4. Bierie, B., Nozawa, M., Renou, J.-P., Shillingford, J.M., Morgan, F., Oka, T., Taketo, M.M., Cardiff, R.D., Miyoshi, K., Wagner, K-U., Robinson, G.W. and Hennighausen, L. (2003). Activation of beta-catenin in prostate epithelium induces hyperplasias andsquamous transdifferentiation. Oncogene 22:3875-3887
5. Renou, J.-P., Bierie, B., Miyoshi, K., Cui, Y., Dijane, J., Reichenstein, M., Shani, M. and Hennighausen, L. (2003). Identification of genes differentially expressed in mouse mammary epithelium transformed by an activated beta-catenin. Oncogene, 29, 4594-4610.
6. Shillingford, J.M., Miyoshi, K., Robinson, G.W., Bierie, B., Cao, Y., Karin, M. and Hennighausen, L. (2003). Proteotyping of mammary tissue from transgenic and gene knockout mice with immunohistochemical markers. A tool to define developmental lesions. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 51:555-65.
7. Humphreys, R.C., Bierie, B., Zhao, L., Raz, R., Levy, D. and Hennighausen L. (2002). Deletion of Stat3 blocks mammary gland involution and extends functional competence of the secretory epithelium in the absence of lactogenic stimuli. Endocrinology 143:3641-3650.