Kidney, Urologic, and Hematologic Diseases Interagency Coordinating Committee (KUHICC) Description
Legislative Mandate Summary
Section 429 of Public Law 99-158 created the Kidney, Urologic, and Hematologic Diseases Interagency Coordinating Committee (KUHICC) in 1987. The committee met for the first time in 1988, and continues to meet as subcommittees for kidney, urology, and hematology about four times a year.
Chaired by the Director, Division of Kidney, Urologic, and Hematologic Diseases of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, the committee encourages cooperation, communication, and collaboration among all Federal agencies involved in kidney, urology, and hematology research and other activities.
In practical terms, members share information and advice about ongoing, new, and planned activities and identify potential areas of collaboration. Discussions are summarized in minutes of meetings and highlights are presented in an annual report.
Public Law 99-158
INTERAGENCY COORDINATING COMMITTEES
Sec. 429. [285c-3]
- For the purpose of-
the Secretary shall establish a Diabetes Mellitus Interagency Coordinating Committee, a Digestive Diseases Interagency Coordinating Committee, and a Kidney, Urologic, and Hematologic Diseases Coordinating Committee (hereafter in this section individually referred to as a "Committee").
- better coordination of the research activities of all the national research institutes relating to diabetes mellitus, digestive diseases, and kidney, urologic, and hematologic diseases: and
- coordinating those aspects of all Federal health programs and activities relating to such diseases to assure the adequacy and technical soundness of such programs and activities and to provide for the full communication and exchange of information necessary to maintain adequate coordination of such programs and activities:
- Each Committee shall be composed of the Directors of each of the national research institutes and divisions involved in research with respect to the diseases for which the Committee is established, the Division Director of the Institute for the diseases for which the Committee is established, the Chief Medical Director of the Veterans' Administration, and the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs (or the designees of such officers) and shall include representation from all other Federal departments and agencies whose programs involve health functions or responsibilities relevant to such diseases, as determined by the Secretary. Each Committee shall be chaired by the Director of NIH (or the designee of the Director). Each Committee shall meet at the call of the chairman, but not less often than four times a year.
- Each Committee shall prepare an annual report for-
detailing the work of the Committee in carrying out paragraphs (1) and (2) of subsection (a) in the fiscal year for which the report was prepared. Such report shall be submitted not later than 120 days after the end of each fiscal year.
- the Secretary,
- the Director of NIH, and
- the Advisory Board established under section 430 for the diseases or which the Committee was established,
Page last updated: September 25, 2007