Creating User Accounts
There are two ways for Extramural Administrators to create new user accounts:
- Use the Create Account hyperlink (located in the list of matching accounts when accounts are queried) to create accounts for users who have a role of Principal Investigator (PI) and have an NIH eRA user profile record. When new PI accounts are created, they are associated with the eRA user profile that the NIH stores for PIs. In order to prevent the creation of multiple accounts for the same PI, it is crucial that the new accounts are matched to the existing records. Use the directions in Querying Accounts to find the desired PI and create an account.
Note: It is important that PIs with prior NIH support enter the optional birth date, Social Security number (SSN), and prior support information which enables the NIH to associate the new account to the PI’s existing NIH profile.
- Use the directions in this section when you are unable to query the desired account and need to create accounts for users (with roles other than PI and IAR) who do not have an existing user profile.
- Select Administration | Accounts | Create Account to access the Create a New Account page (ADM1001).
- Enter new account information, noting the following:
Click Submit to enter the information. The new user receives an "Account Created" notification email (sent to the email you provide in the Email field) containing the username and a randomly generated password. However, new users who are PIs receive an email that provides a link to a special form that the PI uses to confirm the information that NIH has regarding the PI's participation in grant applications, committee involvement, and training appointments. Only after this form is completed does the PI receive an email with the account information. See Verifying NIH Support for more information about confirming NIH information.
- If a field name is followed by an asterisk (*), it is a required field.
- The User Name field has a 6 character minimum and a 20 character maximum. This is a unique name that can be assigned to one and only one user.
- The Birth Date, SSN (Social Security number), and Prior Support fields are for PI roles only.