About the ADEAR Center
Who We Are
The U.S. Congress created the Alzheimer's Disease Education and Referral (ADEAR) Center in 1990 to "compile, archive, and disseminate information concerning Alzheimer's disease" for health professionals, people with AD and their families, and the public. The ADEAR Center is operated as a service of the National Institute on Aging (NIA), one of the Federal Government's National Institutes of Health and part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The NIA conducts and supports research about health issues for older people, and is the primary Federal agency for Alzheimer's disease research.
As a public, U.S. Government-funded resource, the ADEAR Center strives to be a current, comprehensive, unbiased source of information about AD. All our information and materials about the search for causes, treatment, cures, and better diagnostic tools are carefully researched and thoroughly reviewed by NIA scientists and health communicators for accuracy and integrity. Individuals and organizations can make donations to the National Institute on Aging to be used specifically for Alzheimer’s disease research and educational activities. For more information about how and where to send donations, please click here.
The ADEAR Center has a staff of Information Specialists available to assist you with:
- Answers to your specific questions about AD
- Free publications about AD symptoms, diagnosis, related disorders, risk factors, treatment, caregiving tips, home safety tips, and research
- Referrals to local supportive services and AD Centers that specialize in research and diagnosis
- Spanish language resources
- Clinical trials information
- Literature database searches for further research and reading
- Training materials, guidelines, and a newsletter for health care and caregiving professionals
How to Contact the ADEAR Center
Call toll-free at:1-800-438-4380
(8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday - Friday)
Send us an e-mail to: email@example.com
Send a fax to: 301-495-3334
Send your letter to:
PO Box 8250
Silver Spring, MD 20907-8250
ADEAR Customer Service Standards
To give you the best possible service, ADEAR Center staff abide by the following customer service standards:
- We will answer your telephone calls promptly between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. eastern time, Monday through Friday. After these hours and on weekends and holidays, you will be able to reach our voice mail system to record your requests for information.
- Our information specialists are courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful. They will listen carefully to your requests and provide you with the most up-to-date information we have on Alzheimer's disease.
- If the information you need is not available from the ADEAR Center, we will refer you to another source of information, such as a national organization or state agency to obtain your answers.
- We will process your telephone requests for printed materials within 3 working days of receipt. You may order publications from us by telephone, by fax, in writing, or via our Web site or e-mail.
- When we produce publications, we will write them in clear and easily understood language and in a helpful format.
- We will make information available through many channels, including our Web site, community organizations, and libraries.
Back to top