U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Public Health Service
PHS 398 (Revised 11/2007)
See the 01/04/2008 NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-08-028 for important changes to this version.
All notable changes made to PHS 398 instructions and form pages are listed at the bottom of this page (updated 12/08/2008).
Downloadable Instructions and Form Files
Some of the MS Word and PDF files are large and may take a few minutes to download.
These instructions may be used for all PHS 398 applications submitted for due dates on or after January 25, 2008. The use of the 11/2007 revision is mandatory for applications submitted for May 25, 2008 and subsequent due dates. See NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-08-028.
PHS 398 Fillable Forms - 11/2007 Revision
The links below allow for downloading of individual and combined form files in MS Word and PDF formats. Please see the Adobe Acrobat or PDF Forms section of the "Help Downloading Files" page for information on using the fillable PDF forms.
|Fillable Individual PHS 398 Forms
(These forms are to be used only with paper submissions using the PHS 398. Do not use the PDF samples provided below in an SF424 (R&R) application. These are fillable PDF forms which will cause an error in the electronic submission of an SF424 (R&R) application. See the SF424 (R&R) application page for appropriate formats to be used for electronic submission.)
|Form Page 1: Face Page||MS Word (81 KB)||PDF (501 KB)|
|Form Page 1-continued: Additional form for use only if Multiple PD/PIs are proposed. Do not include if submitting a single-PD/PI application.||MS Word (73 KB)||PDF (255 KB)|
|Form Page 2: Summary, Relevance, Project/Performance Sites, Senior/Key Personnel, Other Significant Contributors, and Human Embryonic Stem Cells||MS Word (108 KB)||PDF (314 KB)|
|Project/Performance Site Format Page - use only if additional space is needed.||MS Word (85 KB)||PDF (255 KB)|
|Form Page 3: Research Grant Table of Contents||MS Word (75 KB)||PDF (459 KB)|
|Form Page 4: Detailed Budget for Initial Budget Period||MS Word (82 KB)||PDF (295 KB)|
|Form Page 5: Budget for Entire Proposed Project Period||MS Word (75 KB)||PDF (142 KB)|
|Biographical Sketch Format Page||MS Word (37 KB)||PDF (417 KB)|
|Biographical Sketch Sample||MS Word (71 KB)||PDF (28 KB)|
|Resources Format Page||MS Word (42 KB)||PDF (84 KB)|
|Checklist Form Page||MS Word (79 KB)||PDF (500 KB)|
|Personal Data Form Page||MS Word (46 KB)||PDF (108 KB)|
|Continuation Format Page||MS Word (36 KB)||PDF (196 KB)|
|Targeted/Planned Enrollment Table Format Page||MS Word (54 KB)||PDF (177 KB)|
|Inclusion Enrollment Report Format Page||MS Word (82 KB)||PDF (511 KB)|
|Mailing Address||MS Word (38 KB)||PDF (23 KB)|
|Other Support Format Page: Example||MS Word (47 KB)||PDF (36 KB)|
|Senior/key Personnel Report Format Page||MS Word (135 KB)||PDF (167 KB)|
|Fillable Research Career Development Award Forms|
|CDA Substitute Form Page 3: Table of Contents||MS Word (87 KB)||PDF (264 KB)|
|CDA Reference Guidelines Format Page||MS Word (45 KB)||PDF (87 KB)|
|Fillable Institutional Research Training Grant Application Forms and Data Tables|
|Institutional Training Substitute Form Page 3: Table of Contents||MS Word (76 KB)||PDF (459 KB)|
|Institutional Training Substitute Form Page 4: Detailed Budget for Initial Budget Period||MS Word (52 KB)||PDF (93 KB)|
|Institutional Training Substitute Form Page 5: Budget for Entire Proposed Period of Support||MS Word (62 KB)||PDF (120 KB)|
|Introduction to Data Tables||MS Word (56 KB)||PDF (64 KB)|
|Instructions for Data Tables||MS Word (58 KB)||PDF (60 KB)|
|Sample Data Tables||MS Word (297 KB)||PDF (298 KB)|
|Blank Data Tables|
|Data Table 1||MS Word (30 KB)|
|Data Table 2||MS Word (30 KB)|
|Data Table 3||MS Word (32 KB)|
|Data Table 4||MS Word (32 KB)|
|Data Table 5||MS Word (34 KB)|
|Data Table 6||MS Word (37 KB)|
|Data Table 7a||MS Word (32 KB)|
|Data Table 7b||MS Word (33 KB)|
|Data Table 8a||MS Word (29 KB)|
|Data Table 8b||MS Word (30 KB)|
|Data Table 9a||MS Word (31 KB)|
|Data Table 9b||MS Word (29 KB)|
|Data Table 10||MS Word (39 KB)|
|Data Table 11||MS Word (37 KB)|
|Data Table 12a||MS Word (32 KB)|
|Data Table 12b||MS Word (33 KB)|
|Combined File of Data Tables 1-12||MS Word (159 KB)|
|Combined PHS 398 Forms File
Does NOT include the Biographical Sketch page, Continuation Page, or any of the Data Tables or Sample/Example pages (Biosketch Sample, Other Support Sample). See Individual Form file links above.
|Combined PHS 398 Form Files
(MS Word) (738 KB)
|Combined PHS 398 Form Files
(PDF) (1.3 MB)
For Questions Related to:
- Application Procedures/Forms Submission: contact GrantsInfo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-435-0714.
Note: Other software packages for completing these applications may be available from other sources; however, it is essential that the type size and format specifications are met. Otherwise application processing may be delayed, or the application may be returned to the applicant without review.
Disclaimer: Reference to these software packages neither constitutes nor should be inferred to be an endorsement or recommendation of any product, service, or enterprise by the National Institutes of Health, any other agency of the United States Government, or any employee of the United States Government. No warranties are stated or implied.
- Part I, 6. The Peer Review Process is revised per NIH Enhancing Peer Review Initiative; see NIH Guide Notices: NOT-OD-09-023, NOT-OD-09-024 and NOT-OD-09-025. Also, the new investigator definition is clarified in Part I, 4.1, Item 3. (12/08/2008)
- New NIH policy on resubmission applications implemented in Part I, 2.7, and Part III, 1.2 and 1.3. See NIH Guide Notices: NOT-OD-09-003 and NOT-OD-09-016 for additional information. (11/19/2008)
- Web links updated, and tables modified to be compliant with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. (09/10/2008)
- Clarification that not all personnel identified in an application are required to submit letters of support, that a response to the Disclosure Permission Statement on the Checklist will not impact review or funding decisions, that HHS policy now allows minor Alternations and Renovations in applications from foreign institutions, that only the date of IRB approval of the entire application is required, and minor editorial corrections are provided. (08/01/2008)
- Revised NIH Public Access Policy implemented. See the 01/11/2008 NIH Guide Notice for additional information. (04/14/2008)
- New PHS 398 (Rev. 11/07) instructions and forms posted 01/04/2008. See the 01/04/2008 NIH Guide Notice for important details regarding changes made to this version. (01/04/2008)