Study # 357
What is the purpose of the study?
To compare the effects of nicotine-free cigarettes, nicotine cigarettes, or not smoking.
Who can participate in the study?
This study is accepting men only who:
- Are 18 to 50 years of age
- Smoke cigarettes
What will participants be asked to do?
The study lasts for 16 days in a row.
- Be required to go to the research center for 14 of the 16 study days, but 7 of those study visits are for an hour or less
- Need to prepare for the possibility of stopping smoking or smoking nicotine-free cigarettes for 8 days in a row
- Participate in 10 MRI brain scans during 5 study visits
- Complete several questionnaires and computer-based thinking tasks at each study visit
Where is the study taking place?
The NIDA Intramural Research Program is located on the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center campus in East Baltimore.
How much does it cost?
There is no charge for study-related medical care, including study visits and procedures.
Will participants receive payment of some kind?
All study participants will be compensated for their time and travel.
How can I find out if I’m eligible to participate?
Call 1-800-535-8254 for a confidential screening.