Study # 385
What is the purpose of the research study?
- To use electronic diaries to keep track of drug craving, drug
use, and stress and see where and when they happen.
- To see if electronic diaries can help people remember to do
things their counselors suggest.
Who can participate in the study?
This study is accepting men and women who:
- Are 18 to 65 years of age
- Are physically dependent on heroin or methadone
- Are able to attend the clinic 7 days a week
What will participants be asked to do?
The study consists of 5 months of methadone maintenance
and 2 months of methadone detox.
- Come in every day for methadone
- Receive counseling once a week
- Provide samples of saliva every 4 weeks
- Provide urine samples 3 times a week
- Complete questionnaires
- Use electronic diaries that are provided as part of the study
- Participants may also be asked to carry GPS
(global positioning system) units.
Where is the study taking place?
The NIDA Intramural Research Program is located on
the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus in East Baltimore.
Will there be any cost to participate?
There is no cost for participation.
Will I receive payment of some kind?
You might be able to earn vouchers. The vouchers would be redeemable for store-bought items.
How can I find out if I’m eligible to participate?
Call 1-866-START NOW (1-866-782-7866) for a