Study # 418
What is the purpose of the research study?
To see if there is a way to reduce the desire to smoke.
Who can participate in the study?
This study is accepting men and women who:
- Are 18 to 50 years of age
- Are in good health
- Smoke cigarettes regularly
What will participants be asked to do?
The study consists of five study visits, 4 to 5 hours per visit, 2 to 7
- Receive a physical exam, and several EEGs and MRI brain scans
- Complete questionnaires and other thinking tasks
- Use a nicotine patch
- Be asked to try to abstain from smoking cigarettes for one week
- Be required to abstain from alcohol for 24 hours prior to each
- Be required to drink no more than 1⁄2 cup of caffeinated
beverage for 12 hours before each study visit
- Use electronic diaries which are provided as part of the study
Where is the study taking place?
The NIDA Intramural Research Program is located on
the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus in East Baltimore.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost for participation.
Will I receive payment of some kind?
All study participants will be compensated for their time and travel.
How can I find out if I’m eligible to participate?
Call 1-888-OUR-BRAIN (1-888-687-2724) for a