Study # 426
What is the purpose of the research study?
To test whether the study medication aripiprazole (Abilify) helps
prevent relapse to cocaine use. Aripiprazole is FDA approved to
treat mental health disorders.
Who can participate in the study?
This study is accepting men and women who:
- Are at least 18 years of age
- Are physically dependent on heroin or methadone
- Use cocaine
- Are seeking treatment for opiate addiction
- Are able to come to the clinic 7 days a week
What will participants be asked to do?
The study lasts up to 35 weeks (9 months).
- Come in every day for methadone
- Receive counseling once a week
- Provide urine samples 3 times a week
- Use electronic diaries that are provided as part of the study
- Take capsules that will contain aripiprazole or placebo
(a pill with no drug)
- After participants have been on methadone for 4 weeks, they will be
asked not to take cocaine for at least 2 weeks to stay in the study.
Where is the study taking place?
The NIDA Intramural Research Program is located on
the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus in East Baltimore.
Will there be any cost to participate?
There is no cost to participate.
Will I receive payment of some kind?
You might be able to earn vouchers. The vouchers would be
redeemable for store-bought items.
How can I find out if I’m eligible to participate?
Call 1-866-START NOW (1-866-782-7866) for a