Study # 409
What is the purpose of the study?
To measure how nicotine affects different aspects of attention.
Who can participate in the study?
This study is accepting men and women who:
- Are 18 to 50 years of age
- Smoke cigarettes regularly
- Are medically and psychologically healthy
Healthy volunteers who do not smoke cigarettes are also needed for this study.
What will participants be asked to do?
The study consists of 4 study visits. The first visit is a training session and lasts 3 hours. The other 3 visits last 2 hours each.
- Receive a small dosage of nasal nicotine spray or placebo at each study visit
- Be trained on and perform several attention tests at each study visit
Where is the study taking place?
The NIDA Intramural Research Program is located on the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center campus in East Baltimore.
How much does it cost?
There is no charge for study-related medical care, including study visits and procedures.
Will I receive payment of some kind?
All study participants will be compensated for their time and travel.
How can I find out if I’m eligible to participate?
Call 1-800-535-8254 for a confidential screening.