Re: Welfare and immigration reform

From: Aliza Becker (alzbec@interaccess.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 1997 - 12:08:15 EDT

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:08:15 -0500
From: Aliza Becker <alzbec@interaccess.com>
To: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
Subject: Re: Welfare and immigration reform

Dear Ramona:

Low-literate citizenship preparation is an area where little has been
published.  Most teachers cut and paste from a variety of textbooks to
create their curriculum.  Hopefully publishers will come out with
something at a lower literacy level over the next year.  THe Book "U.S.
Citizenship Yes" by Ronna Mgy, Heinle & Heinle Publishers has some lower
literacy activities, but again it needs to be supplemented.  THere are a
number of materials from the amnesty program that are in ERIC that can
also be used.  A local group in Chicago is putting out their own
low-literacy curriculum in the next month or so.  If you e-mail back in
a month or so I can let you know if they are letting it out to the
public.  Aliza Becker
alzbec@interaccess.com