RE: Home-based ESL classes

From: Heide Wrigley (hwrigley@aiweb.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 1997 - 21:51:48 EST

From: Heide Wrigley <hwrigley@aiweb.com>
Newsgroups: nifl.esl
Subject: RE: Home-based ESL classes
Date: 4 Mar 1997 21:51:48 -0500
Sender: listproc@literacy.nifl.gov

Hi, Rachel -

Here are some of the strategies that family literacy programs who work
with small groups have found successful that could be used in home
learning:

	bringing along simple books-on-tape (such as "one minute mysteries")
that families can listen to on their own; (one project 	leaves videos
and tapes of the stories and books that the teenagers are expected to
read in school);

	helping families work out how to get close captioning on their
television sets so that they can match spoken English and 	written
English (requires some reading ability)

	inviting families to develop "memory books" that allow them to capture
and talk about places, sounds, and smells that have 	meaning to them
(past and present)

	using some of the activities from the Family Math Curriculum (developed
in Berkeley, I believe)

I hope you get good feedback on how Cross-roads work with various groups
of students.  I just wanted to let you (and others) know that there is a
second ESL series in the works, called Connect to English,  developed by
WGBH (the people who gave us "Destinos" and Sesame Street) with funding
from the Annenberg Foundation.  Instead of a situation comedy style
format, it uses an ongoing dramatic story of a young woman who leaves
home (and what happens to her and her family)

Heide Spruck Wrigley

of the family literacy program have found that families enjoy getting
simple book and tape kits that they can listen to and look at together.