ESL Volunteer coordinator

From: Rob Wood (Rob_Wood@onf.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 1997 - 05:49:28 EDT

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 05:49:28 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Rob_Wood@onf.com (Rob Wood)
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: ESL Volunteer coordinator

Volunteers are wonderful though I did get tired of the save the world with
volunteers theme a bunch of years ago.   Anyway in Portland Maine we have ESL
classes of 15 to 25, 6 levels, and many cultures.  Our 30 +/- ESL volunteers
do allow us to address indivudual needs of the students  while professional
teachers plan and deliver the courses.   One critical aspect is that someone
organize it and check in with the volunteers.  We have a volunteer
coordinator at 10 hours a week.  The volunteers can contact her or the
teacher of a class.  I believe there is a direct correlation between the
amount of support(and recognition) a volunteer gets and how long they stay
contributing.